Jesus teach us the commandment of love in Matthew 22:34: Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the Law, tested him with this question: Teacher which is the greatest commandment in the Law?
Jesus replied: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the law and the Prophets hang on these commandments".
The Charity or Love of Charity is fundamentally the "Agape" or spiritual love. Charity is together with the faith and the hope one of the three theological virtues of Thomas Aquinas, in the Summa Theologiae. They are theological virtues because they are "infused", that is, they can not be acquired through practice as the cardinal virtues that are justice, prudence, fortitude and temperance, the origin of these virtues is God: "Nobody can see the Kingdom of God, unless they are born again ", John 3: 3.
The spiritual gifts are the natural virtues perfected by the Charity, from there that seven are the spiritual gifts and seven the Christian virtues.
Some points about the love of Charity:
* Charity is the foundation of justice: where there is no love for work there can be no justice.
* Charity is incomprehensible to the natural man: "The natural man does not accept the things that come from the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned", 1 Corinthians 2:14.
* The Charity enables us to understand the divine scriptures because perfects the reason and enlightens it: "Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature", 1 Corinthians 2: 6.
* Charity transforms rational or soulful man into the spiritual man: "Jesus said to Simon Peter: Simon, son of John, do you Agape more than these?" He replied: Yes, Lord, you know that I Philia you ", John 21:15
* The Love of Charity in the Christian faith is received in the sacrament of confirmation, where the believer is declared adult.